- There are 3 main eating disorders: Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa, and Binge Eating Disorder.
- Eating Disorders are categorized as mental illnesses where there is an unhealthy relationship with foods.
- Approximately 24 million people in the U.S. struggle with eating disorders.
- Only 10% of people with eating disorders seek treatment.
- In a college campus survey, 91% of the women admitted to controlling their weight through dieting. 22% said they dieted “often” or “always.”
- Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness. For women ages 15 to 24, the mortality rate of anorexia is 12 times higher than any other cause of death
- An estimated 25%t of college-age girls resort to bingeing and purging to manage their weight. 58% of the studied girls felt social pressure to maintain a certain size.
- 69% of girls ages 10 to 18 confirm that photographs of models and celebrities in magazines inspired their desired body shape.